Jump to navigation
82 THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY death (until, in April, 1848, they removed to their new home at 10 West 31st Street, on part of the Samler farm). The property remained in the possession of members of th'e family until i860, after which it changed owners a number of times.10 From about 1862 to 1865, the old Grenzebach house was rented and occupied by Mr. Henry H. Browne, younger partner in the firm of Perris & Browne, which published the valuable series of Insurance Maps of the City of New York, which give such an accurate record of just what kind of buildings there were in the city in the 1860's, and seventies and eighties. In 1862, an itinerant artist, in return for a meal, drew a sketch of the house, picturing Mr. and Mrs. Browne and their children on the front lawn. Mr. Browne had a few uncolored lithographs made of it, and in December, 1867, presented one of them to the Historical Society (which is reproduced herewith). A second copy of this rare lithograph (yellowed from exposure to light) was given to the Society in April, 1930 (with an account of the picture and of the house), by Mr. Browne's son, Mr. Arthur E. Browne, who was born in the Grenzebach house, and who was the infant pictured in his mother's arms, in the lithograph. The old house retained its pleasant rural surroundings for only a few years after the lithographs were made. By the 1880's, three-story brick buildings, with stores on the street level, had been erected directly in front of it, on Third Avenue, and small brick houses shut it off on the south, leaving only a narrow passage from the homestead to East 75th Street. The old frame dwelling of the Grenzebachs continued to stand, however, shut in though it was, until May, 1908. Dorothy C. Barck 10 Block Index of Reindexed Conveyances, Section 5, Block 1410, in the Register's Office, Hall of Records.