Jump to navigation
Camp Harrison, 6 miles from Cincinnati, on the Hamilton-Taylor Railroad.
Civil War drawings collection, approximately 1861-1865.
New-York Historical Society
Drawing: Graphite on two sheets of ivory paper glued together. 5 1/2 x 7 5/8 in. Sketch of military camp with tents and soldiers engaging in camp life. Artist's descriptions of events and activities surround the sketch. Inscribed at center in graphite, 'Camp Harrison / Harrison 6 miles from Cinc. on the Hamilton & Taylor Railroad / Trolling Park / same grounds as used by U. S. fair--'; at upper left, 'There is no troops to leave, as Cinc. is/ considered in danger--'; various additional annotations.
Military life--United States--History--19th centuryMilitary camps--OhioSoldiersTents
Drawings (visual works)
New-York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024, 212-873-3400
This digital image may be used for educational or scholarly purposes without restriction. Commercial and other uses of the item are prohibited without prior written permission from the New-York Historical Society. For more information, please visit the New-York Historical Society's Rights and Reproductions Department web page at http://www.nyhistory.org/about/rights-reproductions
Engraved for Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, May 18, 1861 (XII: 287): 4-13[sic '5'], as 'Camp Harrison, Six Miles from Cincinnati, Ohio, on the land of the Hamilton and Dayton Railroad...'. The post was named for former president William Henry Harrison, who was from North Bend, Ohio. The soldiers at Camp Harrison usually remained at the camp for only a short training before being shipped off to assignments in the South. The initial post commander was Ohio militia (Union) Brigadier-General Joshua Hall Bates.