Jump to navigation
View of Aquia Creek Landing, Virginia.
Civil War drawings collection, approximately 1861-1865.
January 14, 1863
New-York Historical Society
Drawing: Graphite on oiled ochre tracing paper. 12 x 19 1/2 in. View of an army camp and barracks in the foreground; town buildings, port and ships in the background. Inscribed at lower center in graphite: 'Aquia Creek Landing Va January 14--1863--'.
Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865Military camps--VirginiaAquia Creek (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865HarborsBuildings
Drawings (visual works)
New-York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024, 212-873-3400
This digital image may be used for educational or scholarly purposes without restriction. Commercial and other uses of the item are prohibited without prior written permission from the New-York Historical Society. For more information, please visit the New-York Historical Society's Rights and Reproductions Department web page at http://www.nyhistory.org/about/rights-reproductions
The Battle of Aquia Creek took place on May 29th and 30th when the U.S.S. Freeborn and the U.S.S. Pawnee engaged the Confederate batteries for several hours each day with little effect. On June 1, the U.S.S. Anacostia and U.S.S. Resolute joined the other ships and bombarded the batteries for almost 5 hours, firing over 500 rounds, again to little effect. Following the battle the Confederates reinforced the defenses constructing a third battery on a bluff and fourth across the mouth of Aquia Creek at Brent Point. On July 7, Confederate mines were placed off Aquia Creek in the river, marking the first such use in the American Civil War. The mines were spotted by the Pawnee and later removed by the Resolute. These batteries were abandoned in the spring of 1862 when Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston recalled their garrison in preparation to defend Richmond at the start of the Peninsula Campaign. The Union eventually established a logistical supply point at Aquia Creek Landing, taking full control of the area by February 1863.