Jump to navigation
Albany to Scoharie [sic]. No 52 2nd Part [sic]
Part of the Susquehanna & Delaware; Ononoughquago &c. 65
Part of the Susquehanna and Delaware; Ononoughquago etc. 65
Part of the Susquehanna & Delaware; Ononoughquago &c
Part of the Susquehanna and Delaware; Ononoughquago etc
Rough draughts of surveys, begun A.D. 1778 ; 65, actual survey
De Witt, Simeon
De Witt, Richard Varrick
(W 74⁰36ʹ--W74⁰07ʹ/N 42⁰47ʹ--N42⁰34ʹ).
Early works to 1800.
1 map on two assembled sheets : ms. ; 61 x 50 cm.
Military topographic map. Covers the townships of Esperance, Cobleskill, Schoharie, Wright and Middleburg in Schoharie County and the township of Duanesburg in Schenectady County, New York. Shows roads east of Schoharie Creek running through Duanesburg, Schoharie Junction, Wright, Vrooman, Shutter Corners, Gallupville, Schoharie, Davis Crossing and Middleburg; also shows roads along Cobleskill Creek running through East Cobleskill, Cobleskill and Lawyersville (here called Turlough). Shows buildings and owners' names, landforms and streams.
Shows relief by hachures and shading.
Drawing attributed to Gray based on comparison to another map in this series titled "Draught of part of Schohara Part of the West Branch of Delaware & Part of Susquehanna Rivers...." That map includes the text, "N.B. Schohara is taken from Actual Survey the others only from Sight & Information." The sheet in hand appears to be the "Actual Survey."
The erroneous title proper is from map recto; it is the work of a later editor--Simeon DeWitt or his assign--subsequent to 1820. The index title, statement of responsbility, date, series title and series number by Erskine are found on a separate index sheet filed at head of series. Descriptive term added to series number by cataloger.
Pen-and-ink, pencil on 2 pieces of laid paper pasted together. text.
Two watermarks: "J DUBOIS" accompanied by medallion. Two countermarks: "A L". Original sheet size probably 50 x 38 cm.
Foxed, soiled, creased, frayed, and abraded. Mounted on cloth, bound and cropped, disbound and silked by subsequent owners. Cleaned after removal of backings 1999; some fill remains. Sheathed in mylar.
In pencil on recto: "No 52 2nd" In ink on verso: "No.-52.-4th." Also "No 52 2d."