Jump to navigation
Arsenal at Augusta, Georgia, with Members of the Clinch Rifles of the Fifth Georgia Infantry (recto).
Civil War drawings collection, approximately 1861-1865.
New-York Historical Society
Drawing: Graphite and black ink wash on paper. 10 13/16 x 14 5/8 in. Sketch of arsenal buildings flying a Secession flag with a single star, with soldiers drilling in front of the buildings. Inscription reads, 'At the time this sketch was taken the Clinch Rifles were in possession. This company is one of the best companies of the state and holds the right of Battalion Volunteer Companies. They are named after Genl Clinch, the father of Major Anderson's [wi]fe. It was reorganized in 1861 by Capt. D.C. Wilson, Old Veteran of the Florida War. The present captain is C.A. Platt (uniform on the other side.) Lieutenant Jones whose portrait I enclose has now charge of the Arsenal and was Lieutenant in the U.S. Service but has resigned and given his services to the State. The parade ground of the Arsenal is very fine, one mile square and overlooks the City and surrounding Country.' On verso, inscription reads, 'Two sketches of soldiers, from 'Oglethorpe Infantry' and 'Clinch Rifles,' meant to show uniforms. Uniform details are labeled by artist.
Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 5thAugusta (Ga.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865Flags--Confederate States of AmericaDrill and minor tacticsSoldiersArsenals
Drawings (visual works)
New-York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024, 212-873-3400
This digital image may be used for educational or scholarly purposes without restriction. Commercial and other uses of the item are prohibited without prior written permission from the New-York Historical Society. For more information, please visit the New-York Historical Society's Rights and Reproductions Department web page at http://www.nyhistory.org/about/rights-reproductions
Engraved for Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, March 2, 1861 (275:XI): 237, as 'Clinch Rifles Review on the Parade Ground of the Arsenal, Augusta, Georgia.' A rare Confederate view of a dress review of the 5th Georgia infantry, also called the Clinch Rifles, after General Duncan L. Clinch, the commander during the Seminole Wars (1835-1836). The unit was organized on May 11th, 1861, with further companies joining the unit during the following year.